The charred remains of the Gafatar settlement burned down by a local mob. Photo: Amilia Rosa Former members of the Gafatar sect at a temporary evacuation camp in Pontianak, West Kalimantan, on Monday. Photo: Amilia Rosa
Nanjing Night Net

“We love this country”: Gafatar leader Mahful Tumanurung. Photo: Amilia Rosa

The razed Gafatar camp at Mempawah regency, West Kalimantan. Photo: Amilia Rosa

Indonesia cracks down on ‘deviant sect’ after village burned down by mob

Jakarta: The former leader of a group labelled a “deviant sect” in Indonesia claims its sole priority was to create food security to help Indonesia survive a global food crisis.

Gafatar, also known as the Fajar Nusantara Movement, was disbanded in August 2015, after the government, suspicious that it mixed beliefs from several faiths, refused to register it as an organisation.

But it resurfaced in the news following the disappearance of multiple people, including medical doctor Rica Tri Handayani and her son, many of whom were found living on a remote farming settlement in West Kalimantan.

In an interview with Fairfax Media, ex-Gafatar leader Mahful Tumanurung said no one had been forced to move to Mempawah regency in West Kalimantan.

“After we disbanded we committed to one thing: we will continue to work for this country to provide food security,” Mr Mahful said. “There was no instruction for an exodus, everybody decided on their own to go.

“As we foresee it, a food crisis will happen all over the world, including Indonesia. Indonesia has the potential to survive it, with its vast oceans and rich natural resources. But if no one cares about the food problems, who will work on it?”

The Gafatar settlement in West Kalimantan on the island of Borneo was torched by a rampaging mob last week and its members are now being transferred to their home towns, where they will be “re-educated” by religious leaders.

Gafatar has been accused by some of trying to establish a separate state known as NKSA or Negara Karunia Tuhan Semesta Alam (State gifted from the Lord of the Universe), which could amount to treason.

However Mr Mahful denied this. “There is not the smallest intention of Gafatar friends to commit treason against the government or to stage a power coup,” he said. “We love this country too much, this is where we were born.”

Yogyakarta police spokesperson Anny Pujiastuti said police had received 36 missing persons reports that were linked to Gafatar since last December. Two people, including an ex-Gafatar member, have been named as suspects over the kidnapping of Dr Rica, whose husband filed a missing person report.

“F, an ex-member of Gafatar, like Dr Rica was a few years ago promised a new job in Kalimantan, but there was no new job,” Mrs Anny said.

“We returned her back to her husband and waited until she was stable enough. She has now given her statement and based on it we have determined that F and E are suspects.”

Abdul, from Semarang in Central Java, said his son, who has a masters degree in planning, had gone missing last November.

He said when his wife had warned their son that the teachings of Gafatar were wrong, he had cut all contact.

“We looked for him everywhere, we were so confused, frantically looking for him,” Abdul said. Police finally located him in Pontianak in West Kalimantan.

“He was asked to lay out a city, or a country, that’s why they kept him hidden in the city. I believe it’s part of Gafatar’s plan to create their own country. Isn’t that treason?”

He said his son was back home but “still adjusting”.

Abdul called on the government to be more vigilant in assisting ex-Gafatar members return to “normal” psychologically, not just through religious leaders but also with the help of therapists.

The head of the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) in Yogyakarta, Thoha Abdurrahman, said it was important to distinguish between the victims of Gafatar and those who still consider their spiritual leader to be Ahmad Moshaddeq.

Ahmad was jailed for four years for blasphemy in 2008 after he declared himself a prophet following 40 days of meditation on a mountain in West Java.

“It’s what they believe in that makes them a deviant,” Mr Thoha said. “The rest are victims, lured with [offers of] food security and land. Then they will be brainwashed to be a true believer. We have to identify the victims and the believers carefully and separate them.”

Mr Thoha said it was important the former Gafatar members were embraced by their communities when they returned to their home towns and not ostracised. “Everybody makes mistakes, we can’t cast them off just because they did wrong,” he said.

He said the MUI, Indonesia’s top Muslim clerical body, did not consider Gafatar to be terrorists: “Radical, yes, but not physically radical.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Expect a rough end to the working week, weatherwise. Photo: Sam Scotting A wet under to a wet month. Photo: James Alcock
Nanjing Night Net

Storm clouds gather above the Sydney CBD. Photo: Quentin Jones

A fierce looking storm sweeps across Sydney. Photo: Quentin Jones

Wild weather that dumped a month’s rain in 90 minutes on parts of inland NSW will head Sydney’s way, bringing the prospect of severe thunderstorms for the city by end of the week.

Sydney has already had more than twice the rainfall of a typical January, with 227.6 millimetres with four days to go.

The last time it was wetter in January in Sydney was in 1988, Ben McBurney, a meteorologist with Weatherzone, said. Suburbs such as Chatswood had already had more than 300 mm, with more to come.

“It’s been an exceptionally wet January,” Mr McBurney said.

The combination of an upper “cold pool” of air combining with lower-level warm, moist air has the potential to create widespread instability over eastern NSW.

Thunderstorms if they occur on Thursday are likely to be mainly in Sydney’s west during the afternoon and evening, the Bureau of Meteorology said. Storms are possible again on Friday.

“These systems have the potential to bring severe storms [on Friday],” Mr McBurney said, with a good chance for hail in some places.

Inland regions  had a decent soaking on Wednesday, with a broad area reaching from NSW into relatively dry parts of Victoria receiving 25-40 mm of rain. Those rains should help reduce bushfire risks, particularly south of the Murray.

Heaviest January falls in 21 years

Walgett, in north-west NSW, recorded 71 mm rain since 9am on Wednesday, including 46mm in about an hour.

It was the town’s heaviest January falls since 1995 and the most for any month in seven years, Mr McBurney said.

The Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe thunderstorm warning on Wednesday afternoon for most of central inland parts of NSW, including for large hailstones and damaging winds.

Across southern Australia, the heaviest falls for the four days from Thursday are expected in north-eastern Tasmania. Regions in that state’s west now facing fire threats will also get some much-needed rain, the bureau predicts:

Sydney can expect 1-5 mm of rain on Thursday and 2-10 mm on Friday and Saturday, the bureau said.

Thursday’s forecast top for the city is 28 degrees, rising to 30 on Friday.

Even with the relatively large rainfall total – and the cool start to the year – Sydney should still end January with temperatures about 1 degree warmer than normal for the month.

Weatherzone is owned by Fairfax Media, publisher of this website.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Despite a midday bump, the benchmark ASX200 finished 1.2 per cent lower. Photo: Nic WalkerAustralian shares ended a three-day winning streak, pushing the benchmark index back below 5000 points as the big banks suffered some heavy selling and an early mining rally went into reverse, amid a continued slide in Chinese stocks.
Nanjing Night Net

The market was down from the outset, playing regional catch-up due to the Australia Day public holiday, and despite a midday bump, the benchmark ASX 200 finished 1.2 per cent lower at 4946.4 while the broader All Ordinaries closed 1.1 per cent lower at 5000.8.

The falls came despite the Dow Jones on Tuesday notching its best session since December 4, rising 1.8 per cent as US investors looked past another rout in Chinese stocks to focus on a rally in crude oil and some better-than-expected earnings reports.

“It’s quite difficult to work out because the Dow Jones was up 282 points and I thought we’d run with it,” said Morgans senior client advisor Bill Chatterton. “The only thing I can think of is that the market has moved up a bit over the last few days and there’s been a bit of profit-taking. There might also be a bit of nervousness about next month’s reporting season.

“It’s completely across the board. The only areas that are getting any kind of reprieve are property-related stocks and the gold stocks – Newcrest is up.”

December quarter CPI figures – which showed annual inflation increased to 1.7 per cent from 1.5 per cent, above the consensus forecast of 1.6 per cent – did not appear to move the market.

The Aussie dollar jumped around 0.3 of a US¢ to last fetch US70.36¢, suggesting at the margin the number reduced the chance for a RBA rate cut. Shanghai Composite turns tail

The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index opened up slightly but then quickly turned tail and was down 3 per cent in afternoon trade, after tumbling 6.4 per cent on Tuesday, on track for its worst two-day performance since last year’s markets rout in August. But most other regional markets posted solid gains on Wednesday, recovering from the previous session’s losses.

Among the blue-chip miners, BHP closed 1.8 per cent lower at $15.01 while Rio Tinto shed 2.7 per cent to $38.11. News that Indonesia’s powerful Salim group had bought one of Rio’s NSW mines failed to rally the stock. The sale of Rio’s second coal mine in NSW in a matter of months extends its retreat from the coal industry amid the extended slump in coal prices.

Fellow blue-chip Telstra lost 0.9 per cent to $5.53.

National Australia Bank fell 3.1 per cent to $26.90 after shareholders voted emphatically in favour of spinning off its poorly-performing United Kingdom business, clearing the way for a float of Clydesdale Bank next week. At a meeting in Melbourne, 98 per cent of NAB investors backed the bank’s plan to demerge Clydesdale, a Scotland-based bank NAB bought in 1987.

Among the other banks, ANZ dropped 1.9 per cent to $23.68, Commonwealth Bank lost 1.8 per cent to $77.66 and Westpac declined 1.9 per cent to $30.33.

By far the day’s best performer was AWE, which rocketed 56.9 per cent after the oil and gas junior said it had divested its 10 per cent stake in the Sugarloaf shale project in Texas for $US190 million ($271 million).

Oil Search shares plunged 4.6 per cent to $5.99 after the oil and gas explorer flagged the write-off of much of its exploration assets in Kurdistan in the wake of poor results and amid a slump in the oil price, which is also forcing it to cut exploration and development work.

Shares in GUD Holdings plunged 9.7 per cent to $7.13 after the consumer and industrial products company trimmed full year earnings guidance by as much as 8.8 per cent in the wake of unexpected losses from Sunbeam appliances.

Greencross revealed a number of parties are interested in acquiring the pet care group after The Australian Financial Review revealed the company had rejected a $740 million takeover bid from TPG Group. The stock lifted 2.9 per cent to $7.01.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


The halving of the coal price has led to Rio Tinto dumping its expansion plans for Mount Pleasant. Photo: Rob HomerRio Tinto’s push to sell Australian coal assets is gathering pace with the latest deal delivering Indonesia’s powerful Salim group the company’s Mount Pleasant mine development in NSW for $US244 million ($347 million).
Nanjing Night Net

As recently as 18 months ago when the thermal coal price was holding at around $US100 a tonne, Rio Tinto was touting Mount Pleasant as one of a slew of “growth options” which included expanding Bengalla and pursuing underground expansions at other of its NSW thermal coal mines.

But the halving of the coal price subsequently has seen Rio Tinto’s expansion plans dumped as it now seeks to sell much of its NSW coal assets.

Rio has had government approvals in hand to develop Mount Pleasant since 1999 but has failed to commit to the project.

The deal comes as controversial coal mine owner Nathan Tinkler must finalise a $US25 million payment by Monday if he is to complete the deal to buy Anglo American’s Dartbrook coal mine after his earlier plan to acquire US miner Peabody Coal’s Wilkie Creek mine in Queensland for $80 million failed when he couldn’t raise the money.

Both of the Mount Pleasant and Dartbrook projects produce thermal coal, which is primarily used to generate electricity.

Concerns about carbon emissions from power stations coupled with a deep global glut in thermal coal production has pushed the spot thermal coal price to long term lows at around $US50 ($72) a tonne, resulting in a lengthening line of mine closures and production cuts, particularly in North America and Indonesia.

The Salim group is to pay $US244 million ($350 million) for Mount Pleasant, along with paying a 2 per cent a tonne royalty once the thermal coal price tops $US72.50 ($104) a tonne, which is significantly above the present price.

Its plan to acquire Rio coal assets was first reported in the Australian Financial Review’s Street Talk column.

The Salim Group is controlled by one of Indonesia’s richest families, and over the years has had assets spanning food, shipping, finance, healthcare and and beyond. It owns Indofood, which some claim is the world’s largest maker of instant noodles.

Under the terms of the deal with Rio, which is subject to Foreign Investment Review Board approval, it is to pay $US83 million ($119 million) on settlement with two further payments of $US58 million over the next 16 months and a further $US25 million ($36 million) conditional payment, which is believed to be linked to when the mine actually enters production, which will require significant further investment.

The Salim family has signalled the purchase of more Australian coal assets, stating its corporate strategy “is to achieve its vision is to pursue the acquisition of advanced tier one coal mining assets in Australia that produce high quality coals that are in high demand as the world transitions to a low emissions economy and are low cost, long life and near production”.

Mount Pleasant is the second sale by Rio of NSW thermal coal assets in recent months, and it follows the sale for $US606 million ($869 million) of its 40 per cent stake in the Bengalla mine to New Hope Corp. Rio’s larger Mount Thorley Warkworth and its Hunter Valley operations mines are also said to be on the market.

“The cash from the sale will give a modest boost to Rio’s balance sheet, which needs it given we forecast a cash burn of $US1.9 billion [$2.72 billion] in 2016, although this would fall to about $US0.5 billion [$717 million] at spot commodity prices (higher iron ore prices the key benefit),” Citi told clients following the sale.

Along with the other Rio assets on the market, Anglo American has sold two small mines, Dartbrook and Callide, with speculation surrounding Peabody’s plans for some of its local coal mines.

“There have been only few deals done,” Paterson Securities analyst Matthew Trivett said of asset sales in the sector. “”The thermal coal price is still languishing and there still hasn’t been a huge supply response globally, and NSW is definitely contributing to that with not many people pulling back production.

“It won’t be until the market rebalances before we can see any real change. It’s difficult to justify looking at too many names or putting money into the sector until at least the price stabilises.”

At current prices few mines in the Hunter Valley are profitable.

“The benchmark Newcastle export price is at $US50 a tonne which is making it hard for some coal producers and raising questions over Asciano’s Pacific National’s coal freight arm,” another analyst said, in the wake of recent comments by Aurizon about prospects for its bulk commodities rail freight arm.

A spokesman for Mr Tinkler said he has nothing to say about the status of the plans to fund the Dartbrook acquisition.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


NELSON Bay Golf Club has risen from the ashes of a devastating Father’s Day fire that ravaged its clubhouse last year,returning bigger and better.
Nanjing Night Net

‘‘This is more than a golf club, it is a huge part of the community,’’ president Max Pride said at the time.“It is devastating but we will get through it.’’

In an amazing effort by staff, local tradespeople and volunteers, early in December Nelson Bay proudly opened a temporary clubhouse, capable of catering for about 120 customers.

Acclaimed as one of the busiest golf clubs in Australia, the Nelson Bay complex reopened in time for its busiest season, the Christmas-New Year holidays.

The temporary clubhouse provides comfortable accomodation and full facilities for members and visitors, with dining/bistro services and a full bar providing draught beer.

The new clubhouse overlooks the practice fairway and greens and from the balcony there are wonderful views of the golf course.

“Our 27-hole championship layout has never been better and was open and fully operational since the fire in September and full parking facilities are available,” club captain Peter Power said.

“Our PGA professional Maurie Moses is also providing normal services from a temporary facility and visiting golfers, whether individuals or groups, are welcome seven days a week.”

Plans for the rebuilding of a the permanent clubhouse are progressing well.

“We have all the facilities of a clubhouse, but on a small scale,” club managerTrevorHarrisonsaid.

“Social golf is available seven days a week; golfing and social memberships are available, as well as flexi membership; theBluewater Grill is open for lunch seven days and dinner fromThursday to Saturday; andkangaroo tours can be organised by arrangement.”

The kangaroo tours are the result of a partnership Nelson Bay Golf Club formed with Sydney University three years ago to create a kangaroo research and fertility control program.

“The kangaroos are a much loved and integral part of the course, but we needed to manage their numbers – for both animal welfare and the golfing fraternity,’’ Nelson Bay’s ‘Kangaroo Phil’ Murray, a golf club member and volunteer working with the researchers, said.

‘‘As a result we have managed to reduce and manage the predominantly eastern grey kangaroos on the course.’’

TheNelson Bay Golf Course clubwas built in 1963, with multiple additions as the Tomaree peninsula grew and took the club with it, now boasting3500 current members, including 1500 playing members.

For further details contact the club on (02) 4981 1132 or go to梧桐夜网nelsonbaygolf南京夜网.