Sydney Thunder spinner Erin Osborne (right) has lost her WBBL medal. Photo: Robert CianfloneLost: one inaugural WBBL premiership medallion, last seen at a trivia night in Sydney. If found, please contact Cricket ACT.
Sydney Thunder all-rounder Erin Osborne has put the call out for the return of the medal she won in their thrilling win over the Sydney Sixers at the MCG on Sunday.
Thankfully, the ACT Meteors off-spinner still has her woman of the match award – although she’s not expecting her efforts in the WBBL final to lead to a call-up for Australia for the women’s World Twenty20 in India in March.
Osborne said being able to celebrate with the Thunder men after the franchise’s extraordinary victory in both the BBL and WBBL made it even more special, with the party starting in Melbourne before continuing in Sydney on Monday – even if her winner’s medal has gone walkabout in the process.
“I’m sure one of the girls has it. If they have it, could you please give it back to me,” Osborne said on Wednesday.
“We had some good celebrations on Sunday night and we came back to Sydney and had some more celebrations on Monday.”
Osborne was omitted from the Southern Stars squad that started a three-game T20 series against India on Tuesday, although Aussie vice-captain Alex Blackwell has backed her to get picked for the World Twenty20.
The 26-year-old hasn’t played for Australia since August last year.
Osborne took 3-21 to help limit the Sixers to just 115 from their 20 overs, which the Thunder was able to chase down with three balls to spare.
She felt not getting picked for the India series actually helped her play her best cricket in the finals.
“I’m not too fussed about it to be honest with you. Obviously I’d like to be in it, but it’s out of my control now,” Osborne said.
“I’ve done all I can to put my hand up to get back in there, but I’m actually quite happy to be home and be able to rest and catch up with my family again.
“There’s just a bit more freedom to go out there and play cricket and really enjoy it. When I got the phone call [that I missed out] there was disappointment, but a massive weight off the shoulders as well.”
The inaugural WBBL was a massive success, with television ratings so strong Channel Ten ended up switching games from One to their main channel.
Osborne felt they were “almost professional athletes” during her time in the Thunder camp and she hoped the first season’s success would help make them become full-time cricketers in the future.
She also hoped it would lead to Cricket Australia being able to sell the TV rights for the WBBL in the future.
Osborne said the WBBL “provided a visible pathway for young girls” and hoped it would help grow the women’s game in Canberra.
“Just [from] the overwhelming support from the Australian public I’m hoping Cricket Australia could potentially sell the media rights next year instead of probably paying Channel Ten to put it on,” she said.
The Southern Stars play their second T20 against India on Friday and will travel to New Zealand next month.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.